Monday, January 28, 2008

Oh, the Irony

After claiming not to be a jealous person, what do I do but turn around and do exactly that? I can't help it that I snoop. My mom tells me my grandpa used to get really upset that from a young age, I would rifle through his drawers and he'd have to reorganize his belongings after all my trips to his house.

It started with an email. Last Wednesday when I was at TheGuy's house, I wanted to check something online. Tortuously tempting me, he has his web browser set to open up his gmail account. Given he was not in the room, I couldn't help but let my eyes linger at his inbox in search of female names. I saw a girl's name I recognized from college, LP. I didn't allow myself to click on the email thread but the text I saw said, "Ok Old Chicago sounds great!" I got really quiet when he came back in the room but I didn't say anything about the email. While I'd never heard him mention her name, I figured they'd either been friends since college or recently met at a party since they have a lot of mutual friends. Maybe the latter was more likely since I had noticed they'd only recently become friends on MySpace/Facebook.

TheGuy and I hung out Friday night and everything seemed normal. When I got home Saturday afternoon, I decided to do some stalking on Facebook. I looked at LP's page and saw that one of her friends had written something suspicious on her wall. This totally annoying friend wrote a post the length of a short story saying she was on cloud nine because she'd had the "best first date ever" and rambling on and on about how wonderful her life is. Then towards the end, it occurred to her to ask, "How'd your stuff go, plans to do it again???" She'd written the post Friday morning and Thursday night had been Old Chicago night.

It didn't take long for the reels to start spinning. I went so far as to wonder if TheGuy had asked me if I wanted to hang out Wednesday last week in case I asked if he wanted to do something Thursday since he apparently already had plans with some girl.

So then I went into a texting frenzy asking if he went on a date on Thursday. And then I got really pissed when he didn't respond and went into drama queen mode. I shut off my phone and bailed on my plans to go out for the evening. I don't know why I get like that, but I do. The next morning, I saw he eventually texted back saying "No, why do you think I went on a date?" Plus a bunch more texts where he got really annoyed that I was ignoring him. We still haven't talked about "the date" thing yet, but I'm sure he's dying to hear about how I'm a stalker/psychotic freak.

TheGuy and I had planned to hang out last night until I somehow lost my keys at my parents' house. Seriously, how does that happen? I am curious to hear his explanation. I mean, even if he didn't consider it "a date," LP obviously has a thing for him, since LP's friend was so interested to know if they had "plans to do it again" that it required the use of three question marks.

1 comment:

MD said...

Sorry Kid, I'd like to side with you and all, but I can't support peeking at his email inbox. I do give you credit for not opening the thread, but still....