Friday, December 28, 2007

Glimmer of Nostalgia

It's been a year since Platonic Ex moved out, but his presence lives on. Last weekend I needed to make room for some new wine glasses and margarita glasses. When I opened my cupboard, I realized two whole shelves were being used for all Platonic Ex's old coffee mugs and shot glasses. Most visibly, the black Urban Traveler mug from where he worked in high school, and a white mug with silver writing of the company he worked for after college. Among them were stolen glasses from the bars we frequented in college, serving as memorabilia. A dozen plastic cups from Twins games and Gopher games were neatly stacked in two piles -- a constant reminder of sitting around playing P & A as we drank out of those gigantic cups that seemed to tip at a moment's notice. Shot glasses from his spring break trip to Mexico were mixed in with shot glasses I'd collected from various trips over the years.

As I sent the glassware hurling down the trash chute, I couldn't help but feel I was discarding a handful of memories as well. I may not always speak highly of Platonic Ex, but just because we didn't work as a couple doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the time we spent together. A year ago, I wanted nothing more than for all reminders of him to fade away. Now I feel myself clinging to the few remaining fond memories...

3 comments:

Milwaukee Girl said...

That's the hard part about ending relationships, every day I look at my cat, a gift from my ex - and can't imagine him not being around. I may have trashed all the photos, the one piece of jewelry he ever bought me and his band's bumper stickers, but there's always the bumpkin.

Anonymous said...

I too have these moments. It's normal, but also a strange, almost guilty feeling. Sad.

MAX said...

Ooooo man I totally remember blogging about this exact same thing!

I feel you, girl, I really do.

When you share your life with someone and then it shatters, it's tough to find ALL the pieces to throw out.

And even after you throw them ALL out, sometimes you wish you hadn't. Now that I'm over my ex, I kind of wish I had things to remind me of our memories.