Monday, November 19, 2007

Rum Kiss

In eighth grade, my mom scheduled a Clinique makeup consultation for me, saying her mom had done the same for her at my age. As most adolscents do, I remember feeling awkward and guilty at the time. I didn't quite understand it. What was wrong with my Bonne Bell lip gloss?

In the end, Mom was right. Not only did I come out with some helpful makeup tips, but the cosmetician went home with a nice chunk of change, as my mother was pretty much willing to buy whatever the woman suggested.

Here I am, seventeen years later, still wearing my makeup identical (minus the foundation and powder -- I can't stand that on my face) to the young girl who patiently sat in that stool as her face was painted. Counter Girl introduced me to uplighting which I use as eye shadow and would absolutely die if it was ever discontinued and for a long time, I used this pretty dark blue eye liner she applied. That is, until I was a poor college student who needed a less expensive substitute at which point I switched to a light blue Maybelline eye liner and then transitioned to a phase where I only wore the shimmery pearl white eye liner. Hot. But I digress. Counter Girl also used a flattering shade of lipstick, Raisin Plum, which I loved. I wore it for many years until it was discontinued. Alas, I went through lipstick color after lipstick color in search of that similar shade. In fact, it seemed every time I found a color I could live with, it would be discontinued.

During my weekend shopping spree, I perused the Clinique counter and stumbled upon the Rum Kiss shade. The name alone was my first clue. I like rum. If I were in a bar, I'd make out with it. What's not to like? I like that it's darker than the shade I've been wearing the past six months and it's got some sparkle to it. After 10+ years in search of the perfect replacement shade of lipstick, I may have found it. As close as I'm ever gonna get anyway.



UPDATE: I wrote this post this morning but as the day wore on, I began to feel a familiar tingling sensation on my lips. About six months ago, I'd tried Neutrogena lipstick and discovered I was allergic (my lips looked I'd just had three doses of collagen injections, one after the other) to one or more of the contents. It appears Clinique must use the same chemical(s). Guess the only rum kiss I'll be having is in liquid form.

2 comments:

MD said...

OOOOH pouty lips! Niiiiice! If you want to be beautiful, you gotta live with the pain and agony.

Michelle said...

Bummer about the allergy. I too am very picky about lipstick and I too keep picking out colors that are discontinued like almost immediately. WTF is that all about?

P.S. I have kind of sensitive skin and only use Lancome. Might be worth a try.