Monday, October 15, 2007

Gay, Straight, or Taken

I wish I had drunken tales of debauchery for you but it was a very tame weekend. Did some shopping, got my hair trimmed, and spent quality time with the dogs. Last night over drinks with GC and Ella, my fondness for living solo was reaffirmed as I listened to roommate horror stories of drugs, sex, and rock ’n roll. Scratch the latter. I meant stolen personal belongings. It was the perfect end to the weekend. Nice way to wind down and relax. We spent a fair amount of time trying to decide whether a guy GC knew from high school was on a date...with a man. She bumped into him shortly after we arrived and instructed him and his friend to come over and say hello to "two cute girls."

When we went to the bar for the next round, we decided to stop and introduce ourselves since they were still stationed in the same corner of the bar. It was slightly awkward, as if they were uncomfortable around us and it was apparent we had interrupted them. Before we made our way back to our stools, GC's friend called out, "I swear, we're going to make our way over there, but we've just been busy talking." It was then we decided they indeed were on a date. They didn't stop by until they were on their way out the door, her friend declaring, "It's past my bedtime."

A group of guys standing beside us all night finally summoned the liquid courage to initiate conversation as we were about to leave. I guess you could say they score points for a creative pick-up line: "Doesn't that guy look like Conan O'Brien?" The only problem was he didn't. GC got sassy by giving them a fake name and telling them we were all roommates from Shakopee who moved there because we love Valleyfair.

No comments: