Monday, September 24, 2007

Replenish your Fluids

Did you truly miss me? Surely my life isn't all that entertaining. Unless, that is, you only intend to visit through October 8th to see whether someone with my drinking habits and lax marathon training schedule runs out of steam somewhere between mile 18 and 19. Probability = high. Yesterday was my worst run ever.

Around 11 am, I awoke to finally see the light of day. I set out at a decent pace but soon learned the high dewpoint coupled with a high level of dehydration (alcohol to blame yet again) did not make for a successful combo. The first six miles went smoothly, but miles 7-14 were miserable. I refuse to stop while running -- it's that much harder to get going again. The only time I stop is to tie my shoe, avoid cars, or pick bugs out of my teeth. That was not the case yesterday -- in fits of dehydration, I was forced to take breaks every 1/4 mile. Physically, my knees didn't hurt like they typically do, but I had zero energy. I have never been so relieved to be finished running as I was yesterday at 1:05 pm. That was brutal.

I've been meaning to get one of those water bottle belts at The Running Room but haven't gotten around to it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eh, not every week of training will be golden. The important thing is that you stuck with it.

Anonymous said...

I have one of those water bottle belts around here somewhere! I'll look for it, you can use it :)