Tuesday, March 18, 2008

My She's All That Moment

It's been so long I don't know where to begin. Here's to hoping you all had black-out drunk St. Patty's Days! Mine? Not so much. Ebeth and I went downtown and met up with the usual crew. The only difference from any other Saturday night were those cheesy green beads around my neck. Early on in VIP, I recognized a guy I graduated with from high school. I'm always surprised when I see people from high school downtown. I didn't particularly enjoy high school and ridiculous as it sounds, I like to think of the downtown area as "my turf." For the most part, it seems most everyone I graduated with is married or tends to stick to the bars south of the river, but occasionally, I bump into former classmates. This is why I was so upset when I realized Ugly High School Snot lived in my apartment. Although I'm pleased to report she has vacated the premises as of several months ago and has returned to the southern suburbs (what would I do without MySpace?).

I never said one word to this guy in high school. He was the embodiment of your stereotypical jock -- captain of the football team, charming, boyish good looks. And of all the things to wear on the eve of St. Patrick's Day, what does he show up to the bar in? A tan suit. Tan blazer, open with blue button-down shirt, and tan slacks. Yes, in March, the snowiest month in Minnesota. Yet it still looks sharp on him. Not that I ever thought he was hot -- he's way too cocky for my taste. No, my heart only has room for one cocky bad boy as evidenced by my 7th grade journal entries. Yet I couldn't help but feel slightly giddy when he passed by me, stopped and said I looked familiar. Even though we had speech class together where we were required to stand alone at the head of the class and engage the audience try not to put them to sleep with your articulate, eloquent [mono]tone, I never expected him to recognize me. But he did. I suddenly found myself willing to overlook the fact he failed to recall we went to high school together when he somehow remembered my name, as if it just appeared out of thin air or in some bizarre premonition. I'm not sure who was more shocked. For that instant, I suddenly felt like I was back in high school. Or watching a made for TV movie where the popular guy knows the shy girl's name. Yup, that was me.

That's all I've got time for now. Try to post more later.

2 comments: