Thursday, January 17, 2008

Sad

In grief-stricken news, my family's fourteen-year-old golden retriever passed away. Having eaten very little in recent days, we knew the end was near. My mom let him out in the front yard Tuesday afternoon only to watch him collapse several times until she finally went out there to help him back inside where he fell once more in the laundry room and stayed as she cradled him in her arms until he died.

Devastating as it may be, it helps knowing it was his time to go. He lived a long, good life and we were fortunate to have him for as long as we did. For the most part, I've moved beyond the sadness and now it's just a matter of coming to terms with the fact he's gone. The next time I go home, he won't be there to greet me with a smile and wag of his tail. Say what you will about dogs not being human, but his compassion and devotion to his family would question the world's biggest skeptic.