Friday, January 18, 2008

The Longest Line

Yesterday after work, I drove straight to the mall. Not for any particular reason other than I felt like spending money. That, and the fact there's way too many McFatties at the gym taking up all the treadmills in hopes they'll actually stick to their New Years' resolutions this time around. I give 'em another week at most.

It turned out the mall was a wise decision since I found some skinny clothes! No, I didn't drop a size. If anything, I've gained due to my slacker workout schedule and doubling the number of meals I eat out. Yet I managed to find a pair of jeans and three tops that make me look thinner than I actually am! Finding clothes that flatter your figure is better than finding amazing deals. In my opinion anyway.

While I loved the jeans, they were a couple inches too long so I took them to get hemmed at this shop in the mall. They said they could have it done in an hour so I went to a couple more stores where my newly purchased clothes set off the alarm in both places. A sales associate assisted me in searching for unremoved security devices but we never found anything. She profusely apologized for the inconvenience, but after that, I decided not to venture into any more stores.

With thirty-five minutes to go, I headed to Panera. When I arrived, there were eight people before me in line and one young woman working the register. For whatever reason, this woman took her job seriously. An elderly couple stood before her.

Young Woman:
Welcome. What can I get for you today?

Old Woman: I'll have the Sierra Turkey sandwich and the chicken noodle soup.

Young Woman: Would you like the you-pick-two?

Old Woman: What is that?

Young Woman: You get half a sandwich and soup or salad.

Old Woman: That sounds good.

Young Woman: Would you like the Sierra Turkey on the focaccia bread?

Old Woman: What other kinds of bread do you have?

Young Woman:
We have sourdough, tomato basil, whole grain, honey wheat, french, and ciabatta.

Old Woman: Mmm...well I don't know...I guess I'll have the wheat one.

Young Woman: Okay. And would you like the chipotle mayonnaise, field greens, and red onions that come on it?

Old Woman: Sure.

Young Woman:
Would you like anything to drink?

Old Woman: I'll take coffee.

Young Woman: In a mug or a to-go cup?

Old Woman:
Oh, I don't know.

Young Woman:
[presents the mug as a visual] Is this for here or to go?

Old Woman: For here.

Young Woman: So you probably want the mug.

Old Woman: Uh, ok.

Young Woman:
And the coffee is located directly behind you. Did you want to add a cookie for 99 cents?

Old Woman: No thanks.

Young Woman: And sir, what can I get for you?

The entire conversation played out again with the old woman's husband including the part about whether it was "for here" or "to go." Keep in mind there were long pauses as the old people stopped to think before they answered all the young woman's questions. When it finally came time to ring up the next customer, a middle-aged woman, she inquired as to what the tomato basil bread tasted like, so the young woman told her she was "bad at describing it" so instead offered to give the woman a sample, which required her to leave the register so she could slice part of the bread.

For those that know me, you know I have a low tolerance for annoyances. When you're the only one working and there's a line of ten hungry people, would it kill you to skip reciting every ingredient on a stupid sandwich?!? You're not at fault if the customer fails to read the posted menu! It's a good thing someone else stepped up to take my order because I seriously wanted to punch that woman in the face.

1 comment:

MD said...

Wow, if I had to guess beforehand, I would have assumed it was the Old People that held up the line!