Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The Day Before Thanksgiving

Let me preface this by saying, after that debacle over TheGuy's birthday, I have no idea where things stand.

Tomorrow my family will pack into the truck and make the three-hour drive to my cousin's house up north. It will be the first time we've gone to their place for Thanksgiving and it will be the first time I've *officially been single for the holidays since 2002.

In the past, though it was never outwardly expressed, I know my family felt a sense of relief in knowing I was seriously involved with someone (Platonic Ex) that was gainfully employed with a solid company. My dissatisfaction with my career is no secret. My relatives will say, "So, are you still with the same company?" I'll begrudgingly reply, "Yes." But this year they won't be able to follow it up with questions about my boyfriend's (in their eyes: potential future husband) line of work. Instead the conversation will awkwardly end there. Or worse, they'll ask if I've been looking for other jobs and I'll be forced to tell the truth. Negative. Perhaps they'll ask if I've been writing and again, pathetic loser status will be affirmed. Maybe I'll shake things up by getting drunk and telling them about the writing I've done on this blog recounting my drunken escapades and rants about members of my family.

My one saving grace is that both my cousins, one being my age and the other a couple years older, are single as well which means I won't be outnumbered when the old people start lamenting about how they'll never have grandkids. It shames me to admit, but if I had to choose a time of year to have a boyfriend, it would be the month that spans Thanksgiving-Christmas. In large part, it has to do with the fact I'm not close with my family in the same way I'm close with my friends. They simply don't "get" me nor do I expect them to. I just think it's nice to have someone in your life around the holidays -- someone to keep you sane when you're ready to punch the nearest person in the throat due to all that family togetherness.

*Platonic Ex and I were in the long overdue process of breaking up this time last year

1 comment:

MD said...

Well let's hope that when you tell them you're single, they reply with , "oh that's ok."

I'm with you kiddo, family things are torture for me. I hate my extended family (on both sides) and I'm also not all that close to my immediate fam. Booze is good.