Thursday, October 25, 2007

Sexy Little Nothings

Yesterday I rifled through the drawers at Victoria's Secret in an attempt to find something "normal." A sales associate came by to ask if I needed any help and then apologized for the overflowing merchandise, blaming the inconvenience on their Christmas stock.

I don't get it. Why would I spend $14 on red and green underwear that says "ho ho ho" to wear one month out of the year? Even on a hot day in July when I was 99% certain no one would see my underwear but me, I'd feel ridiculuous.

I was disappointed when I found an adorable sea-foam green pair that looked more like a bikini bottom than underwear, but it said "bride-to-be" across the booty. There was also a cute pink and black polka-dot pair that read "sexy little thing" on the front. Why? Is that really necessary? Do women find the words validating? Is that why people buy this stuff?

When did I become a prude for turning my nose at bras adorned with sparkles, rhinestones, and lined with leopard-print interior?? Is this the kind of thing that gives women the confidence to bring out their inner sex kitten? Or is it simply a turn-on distraction for men? After all, it's safe to say men are easily distracted.

It's not like I'm all about the cotton briefs. In fact, I did manage to find a non-trashy lace bra and underwear (I refuse to say 'panties') sans writing, but I scoffed at most of the intimate apparel. I found it (a) tacky (b) heinous (c) whore-ish. Maybe it's just another sign I'm getting old.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

My underwear hasn't said anything since the 2nd grade when my mother threw out the last of the Mondy, Tuesday, Wednesday...underwear (that I never did wear on the right day)!

I agree with the overwhelming amount of impractical, whorish-looking underwear. I like to look sexy but I want to be covered and comfortable too.

MD said...

I think you should ONLY buy underwear that says "bride to be" on the back. You'd be able to gauge if the guy is in it for the long run or not.

I know I would certainly be more enthusiastic about reading if more things were printed in ass-type.

Anonymous said...

I think you should model you underware for this website, so we can get a feel of your undergarment style.