Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Just Friends

GC has this guy friend -- we'll call him Sparky -- whom I've met several times. He texts to see what I'm up to on weekends and sends random texts here and there, but we've never hung out one-on-one. While GC has never said "Sparky has a crush on you" or words to that effect, she's told me whenever she invites him to do something, he asks if I'll be there. When he heard about my car accident, he texted right away to see if I was okay. Last Sunday I was over at GC's house when Sparky texted to ask about my weekend so after a few exchanged texts, he said he was going to relax and listen to the new Debbie Gibson CD but to call him later because he would need a break from work. I cracked up as I had a flashback of me and my childhood best friend with side ponytails lip syncing to "Lost in Your Eyes." I wrote back and told him I was going to bed.

Last night he texted me with, "I need a fucken drink." After getting over my annoyance at the demise of the English language, I told him I would go but that I was at my friend's house, trying to hint that I was busy. He asked if I wanted to go later. I responded that I didn't think tonight would work. I almost brought up getting together the following day, but thought better of it.

The thing is, Sparky is one of the funniest people I've met in a long time. Am I interested in him? No. So while I would love to hang out with him, I don't want to give him the wrong impression. My question is this: If I were to hang out with him, would I be leading him on? Sure, maybe not the first couple times. But what if he starts assuming my platonic interest is romantic? Eventually he would try to kiss me or date me or both and I'd be forced to have the uncomfortable "let's be friends" conversation. Shudder.

As someone who avoids confrontation at all costs, I'm not sure it's wise to spend alone time with Sparky. What do ya think? Agree? Disagree?

3 comments:

XUP said...

I don't know, but Sparky sounds like something of a lazy-assed suitor. If you go out with him bring some friends along (like it's all a bunch of friends hanging out) and then be sure to mention the hot guy you've been dating many times. If he still texts you after that he just wants to be friends, too. If not, well... too bad for him.

MD said...

The key is, offer him money after you sleep with him, that way he'll understand it was just a money thing and not love.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, kinda akward hang'n out with someone like that. Maybe that lesbian trick will work when you are out on the dance floor with him.