Monday, September 10, 2007

Birthday Blues

Saturday I went out for a friend of a friend's birthday. Birthday Girl had arranged dinner plans downtown with the intent of bar-hopping to follow. To her dismay, only three friends showed up for dinner with a few others (us included) meeting up later. This got her friends whispering things like, "Maybe if she were a better friend..." and "That's what happens when you get a boyfriend and ignore all your friends for two years."

It was ironic considering just last weekend this became the topic of conversation between TheGuy and myself. We discovered our stances differ when it comes to inviting friends out for one's birthday. I'm not one to make a big deal of my birthday. For one, I don't enjoy being in the spotlight. I do, however, wish to milk a good excuse for bringing people together with one common goal: to consume alcohol. The more drunks, the merrier.

Yet in a couple months when my super sweet golden 27th birthday rolls around, I won't be sending out mass emails, texts or posting a MySpace bulletin announcing my plans as if it were equivalent to a visit from the Pope. I know my close friends will inquire about plans and not-very-close friends who like to have a good time (i.e., pass out in gutters) will do the same.

I've been in way too many situations where I've felt obligated to attend a birthday celebration for someone I don't consider a close-enough friend. Awkwardness is guaranteed to ensue. If you go, you're miserable, forcing small talk with people you either don't know or met once but don't recall because you were seeing double at the time. Here's where it helps to drag a friend along (preferably one that owes you a favor) for moral support. If you don't go, you feel guilty as a result of all the pressure put upon you to attend. The next time you invite said Birthday Boy/Girl to do something, they'll be reminded of your absence, thus rendering them less likely to reciprocate the offer.

Birthdays are fun. But it can be a major downer when your birthday rolls around and your so-called friends go MIA or suddenly remember their promise to drive Grandma to the airport -- or even worse -- forget your birthday altogether.

2 comments:

Milwaukee Girl said...

Hey it's my super sweet happy golden 27th birthday in a couple of months too!

MD said...

Children, you're both children.

I love bdays! My last bday was a major milestone, when I realized that the Vaaaaast majority of my loyal friends were work-friends....