Thursday, August 23, 2007

One Big Party?

I get the impression from those who read my blog they think my life is one big party. Ha, I wish! Sure, I go out on weekends and drink one, or two (ok, sometimes more than a few) too many alcohol-laden beverages, but oftentimes, these nights of reckless abandon turn out to be a bust. When nothing exciting occurs, I resort to making fun of the d-bags we meet and their pathetic attempt to get laid -- the things you gotta do for a story!

One of my friends asked me if I enjoyed being single more than being in a relationship. It's a good question -- one I don't know that I have an answer to. Here's the thing -- if you know me, you know I'm resistant to change. I'm a creature of habit: I wake up several minutes before my alarm, my stomach starts growling around 11 am and 6 pm every day, and my body will only work out at certain times of the day. I enjoy following a set schedule, but I know it's limiting and I become prone to falling in a rut.

So when I hear things like, "My weekend was so boring compared to yours," the writer in me promptly takes credit for my questionable ability to make a boring story entertaining, but I'm also reminded of my non-single days. When I had a boyfriend, my life was nothing like the drunken binge it is now. More often than not, weekend highlights consisted of dinner and a movie and that was perfectly acceptable to me. Granted, we went out with friends too, but as time wore on, the pairing of couples expanded like Deborah's waistline and slowly but surely, our circle of friends began dropping like flies.

If you're in a relationship, things are predictable whereas when you're single, you come to expect the unexpected. I suppose that's where the excitement element comes into play. Do I HAVE to go out and consume copious amounts of liquor every weekend? Certainly not. Is it more fun that way? It certainly is. You never know who you're gonna meet, who you'll bump into from your past (or present), or where you'll find yourself come the end of the evening (3rd floor of the Vu).

In response to my friend's question, I don't know that I prefer one over the other, but now that I'm here, I like the place that I'm in. It definitely took me a while to make the transition -- I basically spent the first two months after the break-up holed up at my parents' house every weekend. I had no desire to go out or be social, but even if I had, I felt as though I had no one. It was rough, but getting past that opened the door to so many new experiences and friends. I'm enjoying not knowing what's in store for the future...

2 comments:

Milwaukee Girl said...

Cheers to social inhibition! I'm struggling with the relationship now vs being single - although it does mean I get laid more :)

MD said...

BOOOOOOZE!!!!!!!!