Thursday, August 30, 2007

High School Snot Invading My Territory

Thankfully, I'm not old enough to attend my 10 year high school reunion (haha, suckers), but I share md's sentiments about those years of my life -- former classmates are better off left in the past.

At my high school, the cool guys were "jocks" and cool girls were "preps." I can't imagine the term "prep" in that context is still in use today, but what do I know? I'm fucking ancient. In the popularity hierarchy, there were two rungs so to speak, the "really cool" and the "cool." The latter group consisted of the girls who had "really cool" friends, but they weren't part of that inner circle. They were destined to remain an outsider due to one or more of the following: a.) weren't pretty enough b.) didn't have a big enough rack or c.) got good grades

A year ago I was in the elevator of my apartment, about to leave for work, when it stopped on the 4th floor. Much to my horror, the doors opened to reveal UglyHighSchoolSnot. Shocked, I didn't say a word. And neither did she. Who is UHSS? She's one of those lower-rung, not-pretty-enough chicks. In fact, she suffers from a., b., and c. -- all of the above. While we've never spoken, I have this inner hatred toward her. In elementary school, she happened to befriend the right group of girls so by the time high school rolled around, you could tell by the smug look on her face she thought she was better than everyone else.

Out of ALL the apartments in Minneapolis, why must she occupy mine?!? I've been in my apartment four years now -- seniority should count for something. Why can't she respect that and move to the other side of the river? To make matters worse, she switched units a few months back and now she lives right down the hall.

What irks me the most is I see her on a daily basis! Not only do we leave and arrive home at the same time every day, making for awkward elevator rides, but we pass one another going opposite directions while running across the Stone Arch Bridge. Yesterday I doubled my normal run (13 miles, woo hoo) so she ended up passing me and going in front of me as I hit the halfway point. It was disappointing to realize I couldn't keep up with her pace, but it was a valiant effort on my part -- I can be pretty competitive when I want to be. I kept thinking to myself, I bet she's not doing 13 miles!

Maybe she's actually a very nice person and I will never know, but I associate her as a representation of all the popular preps I'd just as soon forget.

3 comments:

MD said...

Your day will come little lady *insert maniacal laugh* when a friend of yours calls to ask if you realized it's been 10 years since you graduated. You try to stop your friend midway through the sentence, but he ignores you and finishes anyway. You scream and curse him for saying the unspeakable, but surprisingly, it does not turn back time.

Anywho, good point on the Uggo's that are somehow friends with the cool chicks. I remember a few people that were pretty nasty (inside and out) who somehow made it into the cool crowd and thought, if they can do it, what's wrong with me? For the record, my mother says there's nothing wrong with me and I was cooler than all of them.

Anonymous said...

It's great that you are putting up good miles going into the final month! You are going to do it, run the marathon, be the hero. I'll bet this other girl will never accomplish that, even if she lives to be 110. But if you do get into a catfight, you should have someone tape it, cause that would be HOT!!

MD said...

YAH YAH! CATFIGHT!