Thursday, July 12, 2007

Marrieds vs. Singles

Lately I've been thinking about how one's marital status affects their friendships. It's only reasonable that married couples would hang out with other marrieds while singles band together (the same logic applies to couples with kids). Naturally, the two groups co-exist, but when they socialize, it seems the marrieds are yawning and checking their cell phones either for the time or to see whether their other half has called if he/she is not present. They generally never make it to bar close and if they do, you probably won't seem them out again for another month.

On the weekends, I can't help but feel nostalgic as I flip through my ever-shrinking list of "going-out" friends on my phone. By default, I gravitate toward my single friends and thus feel closer to them as we bond over booze and banter.

I'm frequently reminded of the fact I wouldn't see my single friends, who happen to be more of acquaintances these days, nearly as often had I been part of the married crowd. Not to say that I don't still enjoy hanging out with my married friends, but it's two completely different worlds.

In recent months, I've witnessed many friendships change, friends of friends included, as more and more people take that next step. Is there a way to lessen the gap between the two groups? Or once you're married, does saying good-bye to your single self mean saying good-bye to your single friends?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I miss hanging out with you :(
Every time I talk to you though, I feel so happy! We don't run out of things to say for hours... I hope that no matter where we are in life, we can always stay like that!!

Milwaukee Girl said...

I've struggled with this. Damn single friends keep getting in relationships and when we do go out - the other is always there. Then they're cuddled up, whispering in each other's ears and i can't help but knock down a couple extra in the awkward moments .....

wearingthepants said...

Yeah, being the 3rd, 5th or 7th wheel is no fun!