Thursday, July 19, 2007

I Sometimes Get Paranoid...

One thing I never mentioned in previous posts is that a few of GC's guy friends have commented to me that she talks about me a lot, which is sort of surprising considering we've only hung out a handful of times. Last time I saw her, Indian night at NV, in our drunken stupor, we shared a heartwarming moment in the womens' bathroom (where else?) where we went back and forth about how glad we were to have met.

So...when GC didn't return my call last weekend, I started to worry -- worry she'd suddenly decided she no longer wanted to be my friend! I even had a dream that night where I asked a mutual friend of ours if she was out of town. He said "no" and got a funny look so I pressed him to tell me what I'd done wrong or why she was avoiding me. He eventually admitted the reason she didn't want to hang out with me was because the last time we'd gone out, I apparently was so drunk that I thought it would be a good idea to steal milk from the kitchen of a bar downtown! The worst of it was my drunk ass failed to recall the incident, but GC had told our friend that it wasn't just a 1-liter size milk, I'd managed to steal gallons and gallons...of milk!! As it turned out, she was morally opposed to my klepto ways. She said I'd taken it too far and didn't want to associate herself with someone like that.

Is that not the strangest dream you've heard of? It was incredibly vivid! Funny, I'm in a bar, and of all things, I choose to steal milk?!? What the hell is wrong with me?

Paranoia getting the best of me, I periodically checked my phone all weekend, in hoping, contrary to my dream, she actually had been out of town. But as the weekend came and went, with no word, I honestly tried to think of what I may have done or said to piss her off. I texted her on Tuesday after work as well, with no response.

Finally, today when I arrived home, I had a missed call and voicemail from her with an apology and explanation that there'd been a family emergency. I immediately felt terrible for being so selfish! Here all this time I kept thinking it must have been something I'd done, and I'd never once stopped to consider the possibility that something bad happened.

To top it off, the same situation occurred with another friend of mine who didn't get back to me over the weekend so I was twice as paranoid. I later learned he was out of town.

1 comment:

MD said...

You know, I have been wondering why GC hasn't been mentioned lately!