Tuesday, July 31, 2007

$4.99 Plus Tax

That's the amount I should have deducted from my hair stylists' tip last Saturday. When asked if I wanted front-angling, I replied, "sure," under the false presumption it would look fabulous, framing my face. She said she would just do a little bit, so I thought it would be fine. After all, she had a super cute cut and looked like Nelly Furtado and after four long hours together, she'd done a spectacular job with my highlights.

To my horror, she took the scissors and hacked off the front pieces of my hair so now I have stray side bangs. I hate bangs. I especially hate bangs when you're working out and they hang in your eyes and later stick to the side of your face, drenched in sweat. So I went to Target last night and spent $4.99 on two headwraps with an adjustable strap in hopes they will actually stay on my head, but I'm not so optimistic considering I have soft, slippery hair.

I've been nervous for the marathon lately because I haven't taken training seriously. As I've mentioned about 1,000 times now, I've felt lethargic and out of shape, but yesterday I finally had a really great workout, which I desperately needed. I pushed myself and did 6 miles in 53:33 so I was very pleased.

Afterwards, I went and found a pair of running shoes, but they didn't have my size, so I'm going to check a different store today. When I told my friend the other day about my worn-out shoes, she said, "You better buy new ones before you injure yourself!" That never even dawned on me. I also purchased a heart rate monitor -- something I've been wanting for quite a while. I read some reviews on Polar watches beforehand, but I detest the fact Polar requires you mail in your watch to change the battery. So I went with a less expensive, Timex one instead. It's my first HRM so we'll see how this one performs.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

:P Maybe your style girl thought you have a big forehead, and she was trying to cover it up. You should have purchased a Garmin forerunner - heart rate monitor and gps in one. You would get good use out of it, no doubt, since it was designed for distance runners like yourself. And you should be getting new running shoes every few hundred miles, the padding breaks down on them with continued usage.

MD said...

Some friends from an old job used to have two pairs of running shoes. They'd alternate to let the cushion in the shoes have a day to recover.

Here's your excuse to go buy more stuff!

wearingthepants said...

I would love one of those GPS ones if I had the money. Do you know how much they run?

Yeah, you are supposed to buy two pairs and alternate like that! I did end up getting the pair I wanted today. If I like them, maybe I'll go back and get another pair. Again, not sure I wanna spend the money right now though. :(

Anonymous said...

I think you can get the garmin 301 for under $200 these days. It's not their newest model, but it works great. You don't really even need to plug it into a computer to get good use out of it. It stores tons of running data on it's own, and you can program workout routines just by using the menus on the watch.