Sunday, April 8, 2007

"You're 26? Are you Married?"

That's what I've been hearing a lot lately and heard today at Easter brunch from an old friend of my grandmother, who passed away a couple years ago. We bumped into my grandma's childhood friend, Arlene, so my mom insisted she re-introduce us. Apparently, Arlene knew me when I was very young and I vaguely recall speaking to her at the funeral. After her first question regarding my marital status, she made me chuckle when she said, "Make sure you get a good-looking guy." Then she cupped her hand over her mouth so her family wouldn't hear and whispered, "They're more fun." Listen to your elders, right?!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have heard these two sayings before.... 1. "Mary for money, save love for your affairs." 2. "You can make one guy miserable, or many men happy." And now I hear the cute ones are more fun. I am confused!

- And yes, I did make an account, but I can't get it to let me sign in to leave this comment.

-Kim

MD said...

Has anyone said "That's Okay" yet?

An equally annoying question is, after you get engaged, when is the wedding? If it's not within a year, they look at you funny (well, funnier).

wearingthepants said...

I bet! Next up, "when are you having kids?"

Haven't heard that yet, but they usually offer reassurance in the form of flattery. Such as, "Don't worry, you're attractive, you'll find someone!"