Tuesday, January 1, 2008

The Great Condom Debate

For the past week or so, I haven't been able to stop thinking about the topic of buying condoms. It all started when I heard from a few girl friends that their husbands are too embarrassed to buy condoms. Really? A married person?

At lunch a couple weeks ago, I asked Stripes and his friend about it. Now it didn't surprise me that Stripes said he doesn't like buying condoms (he's a shy one), but his friend is really outgoing so I was shocked when he said he hates doing it because he doesn't want other people knowing his "personal business." Particularly when the awkward run-in with a family friend or neighbor occurs. At which point, they both said you shift the items in your basket to hide the paraphernalia.

The only other male opinion I have thus far is TheGuy and he disagreed, saying it wasn't a big deal and that he thought others should consider it perfectly normal for a 28-year-old to be buying condoms. He said he wouldn't feel the need to hide it from people he knew at the store, but he did say it was funny to watch the really young and really old female cashiers become uncomfortable when ringing you up.

Before I started asking around, I kind of figured that most guys would be proud to buy condoms because that meant some girl was actually willing to have sex with them (or at least in hopes of that). I guess I don't have a lot to go on, so if any males wish to share their input, it would be greatly appreciated. Or if any females want to ask the guys they know, I am really curious. I know this is a strange thing to take interest in, but what can I say? I never claimed to be "normal."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eh, it's not such a big deal.

Anonymous said...

until they're sitting in stirrups w/ a cold metal utensil shoved up them, only to be granted the ability to remember to take a pill everday...they should consider themselves lucky, suck it up and buy the condoms :)

SHW said...

The hubby didn't like buying condoms...I hated being on the pill...so I got him fixed. MWHAHAHA!

I think it would be weird buying them now because so often the cashier is a friend of our teenage daughter. I don't even like buying underwear or personal hygeine products...can you say awkward?

Anonymous said...

Chris told me a funny story once. He was buying condoms for Angel (Yuck) and he checked out in one of those self check out things. He didn't run the box of condoms passed the sensor and as he left the store, the alarm went off. A woman stopped him, asking what he had in the bag... I can see how that would be a little embarasing for an 18 year old.

I used to be embarassed to buy condoms and tampons. But now, who really cares. We're all human. We eat, sleep, wear underwear, bras, bleed out of our crotch and occationally fuck. Girl power!

MD said...

I do it cause it needs to be done dammit!

My buddy buys them only at condomclub.com. Not a great idea IMHO if you're buying in the winter or summer, where the temp could damage your stuff.

The funniest thing was when I was talking to this cashier who was telling me I was her son's age and how he's always out partying. Well, the chitchat stopped abruptly when she hit the condoms! Hilarious.