Sunday, July 29, 2007

Greaseballs Galore

Last night GC and I met up downtown. We started off the night drinking sangria. We tried both kinds, but the red was richer, far better than the white. So good!!

I think it was the first time GC and I hung out one-on-one. I haven't known her long, but it feels we've been friends for years. She's just fun and not afraid to put herself out there, so I think people find themselves drawn to that.

I wished I'd been able to record our conversation because we both see eye-to-eye when it comes to many things. For one, we openly mock strangers. I'm sorry, but it's just too hard not to! My pick of the night was a black guy standing at the bar with the early stages of a 'fro and combed-down mustache. GC: "Who does that? Combs down their mustache?" He looked like he stepped out of a '70s time capsule. I was jealous when he chatted up a semi-attractive blonde. Damn, I missed my chance. GC's victim was this total greaseball she dubbed "Julio" with long, dark slicked back hair in a ponytail and greasy goatee to match. He wore skin-tight jeans with a too-tight short-sleeve shirt tucked in so that it displayed his baby of a gut. Two of Julio's loser buddies followed him around like a lost puppy dog in hopes that Julio would find them an easy lay.

We also share an understanding when it comes to guys. Neither of us is dating at the moment, so we talked ex-boyfriends, current men in our lives we have no interest in dating, and the plethora of douchebags out there. While my dateless self has yet to meet and go out with a douchebag (oh, how I can't wait),GC claims to have had nothing but in recent months. Her tactic of saying to potential suitors, "Don't be that guy" appears to backfire, where they simply stop calling after hanging out three or four times.

The bartenders at our regular place are beginning to get to know us and WAY undercharge us for drinks so that has been awesome. At one point, the bartenders seemed to be in competition for our attention. One of them made GC a drink that was a shot of Grey Goose with another shot of Grey Goose and just a splash of cranberry and soda. When our first bartender, Joe, noticed the other bartender handing us free drinks, Joe suddenly plopped down two Washington Apple shots beside our drinks. It was a bartender drink-off!

One random happenstance was that I saw a guy I knew from college. Only I couldn't tell if it was him at first because he'd lost so much hair!! Wow, what a difference four years makes. His was hair grown out a bit longer, probably to compensate for the thinning, but it failed to hide the huge bald spot on the back of his head. I was shocked. And amazed by all the men my age I hear about losing their hair.

The night was all good until GC realized she'd lost, or more likely, someone stole her little Coach card case containing her license and debit card. That kind of put a damper on the evening so we headed out after that. At least GC is a happy-go-lucky kind of gal, so she immediately called and cancelled her check card and wasn't too upset about it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chipper girl, to keep upbeat when the purse goes missing. If I lost my wallet at a bar I'd be one big ball of a-n-g-r-y