Thursday, June 14, 2007

Sex: It is what it is

Question: Do people in their 20's use the term "making love?"

I sure as hell hope not. That sounds so terribly old-fashioned -- like what your dad said to your mom the first time they....you know. *Shudder* Moving on...

I could research the origin of the term, but I'm lazy. I imagine it dates back to when sex was much more of a taboo topic. C'mon people, we turn a blind eye at violence and dropping f-bombs in the entertainment industry, how long before use of the words "making love" is obsolete?

If a friend told me they "made love" to their husband, boyfriend or random one-night stand, my obituary would read: wearingthepants, 26, passed away unexpectedly from maniacal fit of uncontrollable laughter. Survived by adorable kitten, Marley.

While sex is part of love, it's not the equivalent of love. If you're doing it with a stranger or someone you're not in love with, you certainly aren't "making love." You're having sex. If you want to get technical, the only thing you're potentially "making" is a baby. Or loud noises. One friend is said to sound like Chewbacca. But I digress.

I could compile a long list of alternate words for "making love" but it's hardly necessary. So why not call it what it is? Sex. Nothing more, nothing less.

5 comments:

MD said...

I think you totally SHOULD compile a list of sex euphanisms!

Like:

WHOOPIE!
Horizontal hokey pokey
I definitely prefer "making babies"

Anonymous said...

I was just surfing random blogs to find entries on "hate work" but somehow stumbled on this entry. Thank you for giving me a real giggle. I'm in my late 30's and I still think the phrase "making love" is the funniest and most idiotic description of sex ever. I love randomly saying "lets make love" to my husband (anywhere - you know in the car, in the supermarket) just to watch him squirm. And if a friend ever said to me they "made love" - my obituary would be very similar to yours :-)

wearingthepants said...

md, I did consider it for the hilarity factor! Perhaps in a future post..

wearingthepants said...

How informative to know you found my blog by searching "hate work." And even more informative to know those in their late 30's also loathe the words "make love." Funny you mockingly say that to your husband!!

I just can't believe how frequently I hear those two painful words on TV and in movies. Are there really that many people going around saying that in real life??

Anonymous said...

I pity you, you heartless frigid girl.