Wednesday, June 6, 2007

123 Days 'til Twin Cities Marathon

So I've been averaging 6-6 1/2 mile runs. I don't intend to start training until June 19, which is 18 weeks out from the race (October 7). For the most part, I feel somewhat confident in my ability to run the full 26.2 miles, but that could drastically change once training begins. Granted, I've run nowhere near that distance, but I completed that 12-mile run with minor pain. I know I could've gone further that day, but it was like, what's the point?

As I mentioned before, my goal is simply to finish. If I went all-out in training, I think there'd be a good probability I'd suffer a major case of burn-out before the race. At least I know I'm not the only one taking a half-ass approach. I felt a sigh of relief when my friend sent me this article a couple weeks ago. Check it out.

"Whether covering as little as 15 miles as week or as many as 100, the primary goal of all marathon programs is the same: to build your endurance to the point where you can cover 26.2 miles. Hence, the common denominator of every program is the weekly or every-other-week "long run" — a slow-paced run that starts at whatever distance you can now complete and, over months, grows longer."

I spoke to another runner friend of mine the other day about how I need to find a 5K and 10K to do as part of my training regimen so she suggested the Aquatennial Torchlight Run. It'll be exciting because the race begins at 7:30 pm! I invite any and all to join us!

3 comments:

MD said...

You know what helps me run? After every mile I complete I have a piece of cheesecake or bowl of icecream. After I'm done for the night, if my total mileage is an odd number I order in a pizza and wash it down with a couple of cold beers. If it's an even number, I get an order of wings AND a pizza and wash it down with a couple of beers.

You should try this, you'll look forward to running. After awhile, you'll faze out the running. It's the best workout EVER!

wearingthepants said...

Ugh, I want to puke just thinking about that! I can barely handle drinking water while running -- it usually gives me a side ache!

MD said...

Don't disrespect the cheesecake....