Thursday, May 3, 2007

Beyond the Breaking Point

So this is a really lazy, boring post about one of my co-workers, Deborah. She makes every day a living hell. She is a very nice person, but she annoys me to no end. I entered her name in the search field of my sent messages and found all these excerpts where I felt the need to vent about her to friends. Be prepared for plenty more posts regarding her, this is only the half of it.

6/20/06

I am terribly annoyed by Deborah from work. It is killing me! She wants me to feel sorry for her because she doesn't have any friends so she wants to hang out with me all the time and she calls me a lot to tell me the most pointless stories, while I'm sitting there thinking, "couldn't you have waited to tell me this tomorrow at work?" Sometimes after work we go out to eat but she only likes two restaurants around here, Bakers Square and Perkins, so we always go there and it's all elderly people at both! She talks about the same old stuff every single day. Complains about the burnt pizza in the cafeteria, complains about our co-workers incorrectly setting up accounts, complains about her weight as she devours an entire box of Zebracakes in one sitting!! It is driving me insane. On the other hand, she is really nice, but I can only handle so much of a person before I reach my breaking point! Oh, and I almost forgot how I have to help her every time she needs to send or write an email because she's dyslexic and computer illiterate. I didn't mind in the beginning but it's not like she remembers or retains any of the instructions I give her. How hard is it to send an attachment????? Ugh, she has jumped to my number one motivation for finding a new job.

Ok, sorry for that rant. I feel a little better now. I don't know what to do because I do feel bad, but can't she understand that I need my space and I don't like to discuss the same meaningless topic for weeks on end??? I can't take it much longer!

Oh god, she just called me over there so she could look up the Wal-mart ad online because she doesn't even know how to look it up on her own! Going insane..... She talks non-stop!

7/11/06

Deborah cleaned out 3 vending machines of cookies so she had to go to the 4th floor to buy more cookies.

8/30/06

We're getting a new girl at work. The last woman they hired was a smoker who hacked up a lung every 10 minutes and she never bathed so the smell of smoke was embedded in her clothes. She also was missing teeth. My boss said the new girl is younger so maybe she'll be cool. I have to train her because nobody else wants to. That sucks. Deborah has been calling me every half hour to tell me the most pointless stories in history.

8/30/06

Friend's response:

hahaha

I really want to meet Deborah. I need a face to put with all your funny stories about her!

9/14/06

...Deborah and another guy have the day off today (what a relief).

11/01/06

Deborah is driving me insane yet again. She wants me to hang out with her after work, which means going to Bakers Square because she wants pie. I keep making up excuses and I feel bad but seriously I don't want to. It's bad enough having to listen to her bitch about the same insignificant shit over and over again during the work day, but what a waste of my spare time.

1/2/07

I've been here for about an hour and it sucks big time already. Really if it weren't for Deborah, it wouldn't be nearly as bad. She is calling me over to her cube every 15 minutes to help her with some idiotic task. It's like having my mom at work, it really is. Talk about technologically challenged. Seriously though, you would think that if you worked on a computer every day things would begin to click, like how to search the internet, or send an email attachment, or how to use Microsoft Word!! But no... On top of that, I have to proofread every email she sends because her spelling and grammar is at a 3rd grade level. I want to punch the wall every time I hear her say, "mines" or "hurted" or "says" when it should be "said" or "Targets" or "don't" when it should be "doesn't" etc. Wtf??? It's bad enough when I see it written, but to hear someone say it day in, day out drives me over the edge!

Now she was just trying to convince me to go to lunch with her and she wants to pay for me cause I said I wasn't spending money 'til I got my paycheck. Oh, and she calls me "Little One" which annoys me too. I cringe every time I hear it. It reminds me of a horrendous nickname your family comes up with when you're too young to know any better.

Last week I went to lunch with J. and that was annoying too - he kept picking his nose and picking at zits on his neck. Seriously, what is wrong with these people???

4/11/07

Work is awful, I want to die. At least Deborah is gone so I have a break from her, which makes it more bearable.

4/23/07

I am already depressed at work after hearing a 30-minute story about how Deborah can't find her way to the Mall of America. She has serious issues. Someone, shoot me!!

4/23/07

I've now heard Deborah's story of how she got lost going to the MOA 4 times -- as she's told co-workers and friends over the phone!!!!!!!!


Ha, are you still reading?? If you are, perhaps you should take up a new hobby like cross-stitching!

3 comments:

MD said...

HA! I love this quote "She wants me to hang out with her after work, which means going to Bakers Square because she wants pie."

You're never gonna escape sucky co-workers. Mine is named Gloria. She's 62 and is wicked senile. She's also taking about a half dozen medications (seriously) for various mental issues and smells not only of cig smoke, but also B.O . and pee. I should mention she's also a close-talker. Her smell fills the room whereever she goes and LINGERS. She's also computer incompetent, ungrateful, pissy, and a backstabber.

Sorry for the mini-rant. The point is, there is ALWAYS a Deborah or in my case, a Gloria.

You should tell her you're beginning to lose your hearing and then just ignore her whenever she tries to talk to you. It may be too late to play the "no hablo inglés" card.

wearingthepants said...

Oh my god, Gloria sounds 10 times worse!! At least Deborah practices good hygiene! WOW. You work with the devil! I empathize.

MD said...

They're both bad! You sound like a saint for going out to eat with Deborah