Sunday, April 8, 2007

Does MySpace Encourage Drinking?

MySpace - a site where old friends, acquaintances and yes, even complete strangers convene, frequently with the common goal of making plans to consume alcoholic beverages. It takes very little effort to plan: all you need is a date, time and destination. Heck, you can even get it done in one fell swoop by sending out a bulletin to all your friends or posting a blog announcement. Oftentimes, you visit someone's page to find a slideshow in which the person is drunk in 90% of the photos. You see them having a wonderful time, all dressed up in their cutest outfits, surrounded by a group of smiling friends and you think to yourself, hey, that looks fun! You start reminiscing about your fond memories of nights out on the town and realize you can't wait to go out and do it again!! And then you think, maybe I should go out this weekend and get crazy drunk and photograph myself to document what an awesome time I had so I can post proof on my page! The best part is, you should have no problem finding a MySpace "friend" (I use the term lightly) that is more than ready and willing to go out!

In the end, does MySpace inadvertently promote drinking?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I belive it does for many. Lots and lots of drunk'n pics and bullutin invites. But me, I don't drink. I just like to take pictures of my hot body and post them so all the drunks can see what they could look like if they weren't adding to their beer belly every other night. Joking, but a little true.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, that sounded a little shallow. But what can I say, I'm one sexy beast!