Monday, April 16, 2007

Getting My Hair Did

Went to the Aveda Institute Saturday for a partial foil and haircut. The first and only time I went there, I lucked out and got a student who was really good with highlights. Actually, there were two students because I had a full foil, so they each did one side. The right side (done by the more experienced student) is blended very nicely, while the left side has a few big blonde chunks. You can request students when you get to your appointment, but of course I had the girl's card in my other purse, so I couldn't request her.

The girl I had this time around wasn't nearly as confident as the previous one, but she did an okay job. However, the left side has more blonde than I would have liked. Also, I've been impatiently waiting for my hair to grow back after donating it, so I needed a trim, but the student only trimmed the bottom half of my hair and didn't bother with the shorter layers. After sitting in a chair for four hours, trying not to doze off, I didn't say anything, but she didn't even ask where I parted my hair! I'm not so sure I will go back when I need to get my hair done again. Or maybe I will just go darker next time.

Brunette and frumpy-looking, the client next to me was a trip. Arriving several minutes after me, I heard her tell her stylist in a raspy, monotone voice, "It's been a really rough year so I am more than willing to do something drastic." A thirty-year-old hair dye virgin, she'd decided to go blonde. Flipping through photos, her stylist helped her pick out a shade, saying, "I really like your natural hair color so I think it'd be best if we went two to three shades lighter than what you are now." As part of their grade, the stylist enlisted the advice of her instructor, which gave Frumpy another opportunity to repeat her sob story.

She didn't go into too many of the details, but I suspect it had something to do with a divorce since she mentioned an ex-husband at one point. She seemed nervous about coloring her hair, as she kept repeating, "I've never done this before, but I really need a change," It was a little sad, frankly. It really seemed like the poor woman just needed a friend or someone to talk to. While she didn't divulge too much information, her repetitive hints appeared to be an invitation for someone to ask about her situation. While the stylist did no such thing, hopefully she gave her a major confident boost because the woman looked really nice when all was said and done. It was like a before and after make-over!

No comments: