Friday, April 6, 2007

Age-Appropriate Clothing

I feel ashamed walking into certain stores, as if the store should implement an age restriction policy of 21 and younger. It's a tad embarrassing purchasing the same tanktop as someone who was still in diapers the day you received your drivers' license! Last weekend at Forever 21 (the name says it all), I tried on a black and white shirt with a floral print. My primary concern when trying on a shirt is how it fits. Is it flattering or does it make me look like a fat cow? Cost, color, and cut are all significant factors. The three C's of clothes shopping, if you will. This shirt passed the test with flying colors, but I vetoed for an entirely different reason: I felt too old.

Five years ago may have been a different story. In fact, I'm positively certain I would have bought that shirt without hesitation in 2002. But as I slowly creep closer and closer to (gasp!) age 27, I would have felt like an imposter wearing that shirt. I couldn't stop thinking about "old moms" who try to dress like their daughters and how ridiculous they look. I guess my only consolation is that I still look young. Next up...are short shorts out of the question this summer??

No comments: